Great leaders listen and create solutions together
- Ask your team what they love about working for you and what gets in the way of them being able to do their best work.
- Write down everything they say. Together, pick the smallest barrier and work with your team to discuss changes to improve it. You could use the circle meeting from Part 1 and/or consent process from Part 2 for this step.
- Then, have your team implement these changes without asking you for permission!
This process is useful to…
- Engage every individual in searching for answers.
- Create safe spaces and open spaces for new possibilities.
- Enrich the quality of observations and insights before expressing them.
- Build naturally toward consensus or shared understanding.
- Help guide scaling up and spreading innovations.
- Simplify strategy in fast moving markets.
Practice listening by starting with the why
In pairs, have your people answer the question ‘Why’? at least 9 times. For example: ‘Why is it important to you that this project succeeds?’ At the end, collect the answer to the last why from each person.
This is useful to…
- Discover what is truly important for your team members.
- Generate a small number of clear answers to help you move forward faster.
- Generate criteria for deciding who will be included.
- Create a shared purpose and responsibility.
- Lay the foundation for spreading and scaling innovations.